Tuesday 2 August 2016

Parakito

The Parakito, also written as Para'kito, is a brand that sells anti-mosquito products.


I'm 23, I've never been eaten by mosquitoes. Sure I've had the occasional bite, but never more. This week I've been really badly bitten. I have twenty or so bites on my arms alone. 

I thought the easiest option would be to get some kind of a bracelet, because I can remove it without difficulty. My worry with sprays is I'm asthmatic and to remove them it'll involve washing or airing. Plug in devices exist too, but my plugs are either under my bed or under my desk. 
I saw these on display in my local pharmacy and while I love the colours I know I wouldn't get away with the outrageous neon orange... A couple of years ago a family I babysat for bought the same ones and apparently they worked well. Although at almost 12€ that's a big investment.

I did some Googling, and asked around. It seems people have mixed views on these. They're designed to mask your smell with a strong, some have said overpowering, mix of essential oils. Some swear by them working. Others say they don't.

It is however made in France! Meaning it supports European manufacturing and jobs, so that's another plus. I found several cheap knocks offs on Amazon and eBay but they were probably made in China under questionable conditions. I try and support European manufacture whenever possible. As well as fair trade. I'm a hippy.
In the end I decided it was worth a try. 

If it doesn't work there's always faffing about with essential oils until I find a combination that works. 
I chose black. Why? Because it's probably the most discreet colour there was. Although I wish I could get away with neon orange.

In the pack there was the bracelet, two pellets that I keep calling refills and the instructions.

The instructions were in most common languages even though the pack was only in English and French. They were short, brief and to the point.

Smell
When I got the sachet open I gave the refill a quick smell and I found it agreeable. However twenty minutes in I was getting the occasional strong whiff of it that was a little shocking. I'm not sure what the exact small is but it can be strong. I think the worst is when I don't move. It creates an aura of odour. 

The second day the smell has gone down a lot! It's nowhere near as overpowering. However that begs the question of if it loses its effectiveness over the two weeks meaning the first day it's brilliant and the last week it's useless. Time will tell. 

Appearance 
It's practical, functional and compact. It doesn't look like a feminist bracelet, but looks fine pared with hiking gear, and everyday clothing. This is not the kind of thing you can dress up for an evening out. However you could always clip it to your bag and hey do a key ring version that would be more discreet on a belt for example. 

Does it actually work?
For me it has worked so far. Although we've also had a dip in temperature. 

Three days after using it I got my first bite. There was only one, on the wrist I wasn't wearing he Para'kito. 

Over a month of suing it I've only had two or three bites. I'm pleased with it! I bought one for my mum too, for when we went to Scotland. I was out with the midges once but I didn't get bitten by anything so it might work against them too. 

It's a big investment but it seems to work for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment